We are an InsurTech start-up committed to creating innovative, customer-centric and transparent products & services to the market.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, well-funded startup as the first engineer on the team. We are looking for a talented person to help architect and define our platform from the ground up. The successful candidate will be in charge of building and leading the founding engineering team!
You should apply if you
- Are a highly autonomous and pragmatic individual passionate about solving ambiguous problems, building products and code craftsmanship
- Love to learn and pass on your knowledge to others
- Are excited about joining as the very first engineer in the team
- Thrive from shipping early and often following modern practices like continuous delivery
- Want to hire and lead a strong team of engineers
- Have a strong understanding of modern databases and at least one SQL dialect
- Are comfortable architecting and implementing high-quality APIs following best practices
- Have DevOps experience scaling and running cloud-based applications (e.g. AWS)
- Want to write clean, effective and easy to maintain code with proper documentation
- Value testing and routinely test your code and the product you build
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the co-founders in hiring plans and tech stack definition
- Hire, ramp-up and lead back-end, web and mobile engineers
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, designers, researchers, product managers to find end-to-end solutions for the problems of our customers
- Organise design and code reviews
- Write clear, maintainable code that implements these solutions in new and existing backend services
What we offer
- A competitive salary plus a generous stock options package
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment (for now remote-first within adjacent time zones, but we have an office in London that is available)
- The necessary equipment for you to do your best work - you will get a good budget to build your own kit for work (Macbook Pro or equivalent, secondary screen, headphones etc)
- Flexible working hours and leave policy (28 days annual holidays - including bank holidays) and we think you should get your birthday as a holiday too!
- Some budget for personal growth and training
- An annual company retreat
- Some of our benefits: (i) BUPA health insurance; (ii) Pension scheme; (iii) Unlimited GP video consultation (free Babylon Health membership); A lot more great stuff (feel free to ask)!
Be candid and authentic
- We bring our true self to work - who we wholly are!
- We are transparent and are not afraid to share information with each other - good and bad news!
Trust and care for each other
- We trust each other to do the right thing
- We are not afraid to make mistakes, and we ask for help when we need it
- We encourage each other, when people struggle, we help them
Do the right thing
- We are fair and we care about our customers
- When facing difficult decisions we put ethics above profits
- We always act in the best interest of the company
We are all owners and optimise for impact
- We are always looking for the most impactful thing to work on
- We take responsibility and we’re problem solvers - hold yourself and others accountable
- Nothing is somebody else’s problem, we always jump in to help where needed