We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet.
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
To empower scientists and radically improve how science is published, evaluated and disseminated to researchers, innovators, and the public, we have built our own state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence Review Assistant (AIRA). Data is at the heart of AIRA in the form of AIRA Knowledge – a rich graph of academic knowledge such as scientific publications, citation relationships between those publications, as well as authors, institutions and fields of research. This serves as the basis of all the AI/ML models used by our reviewer recommendation service and our quality checks.
We are now looking for a passionate Senior Data Engineer to join our growing team and help us evolve AIRA Knowledge.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for optimizing or even re-designing AIRA Knowledge’s data architecture to support our next generation of product features and data initiatives. You will be expanding and optimizing our data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for AIRA.
The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing existing data systems or building them from the ground up. You will work together with other data engineers, software developers, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
Tech Stack & Key Requirements:
- Databricks (Python & Spark or PySpark).
- Azure Data Factory.
- Experience with ETLs/ELT.
- Experience with Data Modelling.
- Understanding of big data principles and ability to implement these (volume, velocity, variety, veracity and value).
- Expertise in data processing.
- Ability to prioritise.
- Familiarity with Agile framework.
- Good English skills.
Your Main responsibilities:
- Work closely with IT Architects to provide overall consistent and reliable data solutions for all the applications’ ecosystem.
- Design, implement, monitor, and optimice our data platforms to meet the data pipeline needs.
- Understand the functional requirements for defining the best data models and data flows between our applications, services, data storage and synchronization mechanisms.
- Integrate, transform, and consolidate data from various structured and unstructured data systems into structures that are suitable for building analytics solutions.
- Support the different SW development teams in the modelling, design, construction, evolution, and decommission of their data-intensive applications and data models.
- Understand and promote the best Data frameworks and solutions, technical standards and key technologies, to effectively support existing and future business requirements.
- Collaborate closely with Machine Learning and Data Science Team to improve the performance of our ML pipelines.
What we´re offering
- Continuous catch-up with latest technology, you won’t get bored!
- Really senior colleagues in all fields of IT, you will learn new things every single day.
- Exciting projects, you’ll work in different applications and features along the year.
- 25 annual leave days + 4 well-being days.
- Participation in the annual company bonus scheme.
- Flexible working framework.
- Remote working across Spain.
- On-off bonus to set-up your workspace at home.
- If you ever come to the office, we have top-notch facilities in WeWork (Castellana 77, Madrid).
- Extensive learning opportunities through our Pluralsight and LinkedIn Learning partnership.
- 3 volunteering days through the online platform Alaya.
- Access to Headspace app for mindfulness exercises.
- Online Yoga classes.
- A monthly social Happy Hour to share beers and tapas with colleagues.